RLPS Names Newest PartnerApril 6, 2022
We are excited to announce the promotion of James Mehaffey to Partner. Jim has worked with RLPS for several years and is probably familiar to many of our clients and business associates, so we’ve asked him a few questions about his career path and personal inspiration instead.
James A. Mehaffey, AIA
RLPS Employee since 1995
What do you like to do in your spare time?
In my spare time, I’m Chair for AIA PA Building Code Committee, Member of the Manheim Township Uniform Construction Code Appeals Board, and Board Member at the Lancaster Code Association. I am also Co-Captain of a MS Society Walk Team with my wife. I enjoy photography (both digital and old-school film) and tinkering in my wood shop. I hope to travel again soon with my family.
How did you decide you wanted to be an architect?
In seventh grade career day, one of the presenters was a cool, young architect who said he didn’t have to wear a tie every day. I was sold from that moment on. Somehow, I still have dozens of ties in my closet.
What was your first part-time job?
Picking corn on the property that now houses the RLPS office! Literally right where I am sitting, I picked corn.
Tell us about a unique experience you’ve had at RLPS:
RLPS needed some summer interns in 1995. My name was suggested but I was in Europe doing a semester abroad at the time they were interviewing. When they called my house, my mother took it upon herself to grab my portfolio of school projects and meet with one of the partners. She essentially interviewed for me without me knowing – she told me about it later. I never actually had an interview at RLPS.
- Bachelor of Architecture with Honors, Minor in Architectural History, Pennsylvania State University
- Pennsylvania State University Renaissance Scholar
- AIA Henry Adams Award
- Greater Harrisburg Foundation Steele Fund Award of Merit
- NCARB Registered Architect
- Member, American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Pennsylvania State University Architecture & Landscape Architecture Summer Camp Volunteer
- Work Group for the International Code Council, A117.1 for Assisted Toileting and Showing Technical Criteria in Health Care Occupancies