One of seven middle-secondary urban schools, Hand was originally built in 1924 and expanded in 1927. The District identified Southeast as a “turn-around” school prompting much needed changes to programming and infrastructure. The interior was demolished down to the structural frame for major system and infrastructure replacement and the historic exterior facade included replacement of windows, doors and roofing. The design captures roof stormwater and diverts it from an overburdened combined storm and sanitary system. The project was partly funded by federal grants promoting sustainable initiatives and the development of Science and Technology curriculum.
Award: LEED Silver Certification
Photo Credit: Larry Lefever Photography