Jim Douglas, Lead Designer, accepted the Trumbauer Award on behalf of RLPS for the Masonic Villages Veterans Grove Monuments under the category of Landscape Architecture and Design. The Philadelphia Chapter of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art (ICAA) announced the winners on Wednesday, November 9 at The Union League of Philadelphia. The new awards program recognizes the work of individuals and firms to preserve and advance the classical tradition in the greater Philadelphia area.
Named for internationally renowned, native Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer (1868-1938), the Trumbauer Awards celebrate contemporary classical projects that express the breadth and inclusiveness present in Trumbauer’s expansive work. Following a jurying session led by Anthony Barnes and including interior designer Michael Hampton, landscape architect Jennifer Horn, Martha McDonald of AIM Media, builder Susan Sapiro, and architect Sean Novelty, winners were selected in ten categories with the addition of one honorable mention.
The Veterans Grove Monuments
In 1910, Masonic Villages (formerly the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania) held a design competition won by Zantzinger, Borie & Medary over such notable architects as Cass Gilbert, Cope & Stewardson, and, perhaps ironically, Horace Trumbauer. A grid of 268 oak trees was planted as a living representation of the Masons who died serving our country during World War I. Subsequently, a Doric temple was erected as a centerpiece.
With the turning of the 21st century, Masonic Village at Elizabethtown’s 20-year vision plan included updating and enhancing the Veterans Grove to encourage reflection of wars past and hope for future peace and freedom. In 2007, an accessible granite walkway was constructed to lead visitors to the restored temple monument and to chronicle the names of our nation’s military conflicts. The entrance proclaims Thomas Jefferson’s bold declaration, “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
The most recent addition was the Eternal Flame monument, dedicated on September 20, 2014, in tribute to all military and veterans, inscribed with the words “All Gave Some – Some Gave All.” Granite pavers surrounding the monument are engraved with names of those who have or are serving as designated by loved ones who have purchased them to support the construction and maintenance of the monument.
For the full list of award recipients CLICK HERE.